Virginia Hotel

The Virginia Hotel was built in 1925. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2000.It is also designated by the city of Santa Barbara as a local historical landmark. The building is located on the southern side of West Haley Street, in the southeastern part of the historical center of Santa Barbara, California.


At the place of the hotel prior to 1925 there were two hotel buildings, one constructed in 1916 (No. 17, belonging to Charles Maas, the first commercial property at Haley Street) and another one in 1922 (No. 23, belonging to Freas Hayman). The buildings were connected on the upper floors. They were badly damaged by the 1925 earthquake which destroyed the city center of Santa Barbara. Generally, the downtown of Santa Barbara was rebuilt in the Colonial Revival style, and the Virginia Hotel is considered to be one of the best representatives of the style in the city. The Virginia Hotel was one of the first buildings approved by the Architectural Advisory Committee, and actually one of the first ones to be constructed. This is one of the few survived buildings which had their facade completely re-designed in the Spanish Colonial Revival style right after the earthquake.

Maas and Hayman jointly hired the architect Clifford Denman from Los Angeles. Denman was tasked to repair the properties and also to transform the facade to the Colonial Revival style. He also added a third floor to the building. The two buildings behind the joint facade operated as two different hotels, and in 1931 the connections between them were closed. In 1977 the two hotels, which at the time were operated as a long-time dwelling, were joined as Virginia Hotel. In 1997, the hotel stopped operating and was vacated, and in 1998 it was sold. It was eventually rehabilitated and currently operates as the Holiday Inn Express Virginia Hotel.


The hotel is a three-floor building with a flat roof. The total area of the building is 29,000 square feet (2,700 m2). It has an L-shape and consists of two buildings. These are connected by a segment which includes passages on the second and third floors as well as a section of the main facade. The most distinctive features of the building are found in the facade which is located parallel to West Haley Street.

The design used by Denman unified the two buildings composing the hotel by using a number of common features such as the same columns and wrought iron work. At the same time, it used other features underlying the difference between the buildings such as different windows design. Besides the Spanish Colonial Revival Style, it also included a number of elements characteristic for Mediterranean architecture, or specifically inspired by Venetian architecture. The clear elements of the Spanish Colonial Revival style include the first floor arcade and arched windows in the third floor.

The Union Hotel

The Union Hotel was established by the Murray family in La Porte, California in 1855. Originally known as the Kittis Hotel, it was renamed in 1860 in honor of local Union soldiers.


The original structure was destroyed by fire, and rebuilt in 1906. The only surviving structural element is the brick safe which stands at the center of the hotel.

The Apple Farm Hotel

The Apple Farm is a combination lodging accommodation and American restaurant in San Luis Obispo, California, located at 2015 Monterey Street. It is a member of California’s Boutique Hotel Collection.

The lodgings at the Apple Farm are split into two areas: The “Inn,” which has large rooms and suites and indoor corridors, and which holds a Four-Diamond Award from the American Automobile Association (AAA);[3] and the “Trellis Court,” which has smaller rooms, exterior corridors, and a Two-Diamond AAA rating. The Trellis Court was an adjacent motel that was acquired in 1988 and renovation was finalized in 1989.

The grounds of the Inn also consist of a restaurant, gift shop, and millhouse.

The Apple Farm has acquired the first motel in the world, The Motel Inn (originally “Milestone Mo-tel”), which is adjacent to the Inn’s grounds near an onramp to northbound U.S. 101. The Motel Inn is being used for administrative purposes and the Apple Farm establishment is in the process of the property’s restoration.

Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa

Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa is a hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California. Added as part of a major expansion of the Disneyland Resort in 2001, it is the resort’s flagship hotel and is the first and only hotel there to have been originally built and operated since inception by The Walt Disney Company. This luxury hotel is designed to celebrate the early 20th Century Arts and Crafts era, showcasing the architectural style of Northern California. It also features a Disney Vacation Club wing that opened in September 2009.

Designed by architect Peter Dominick of 4240 Architecture Inc. (formerly part of Urban Design Group Inc.), it is based on the Arts and Crafts movement of the early 1900s. Despite the large scale of the hotel (1,019 rooms), the architecture still captures the key elements of the Craftsman style: wide sweeping roofs, projecting beams, exaggerated braces and colors that blend with nature. The exterior evokes the feel of National Park Service lodges of the Western United States, particularly the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite National Park and, to a lesser degree, the Old Faithful Inn in Yellowstone National Park. The interior design of the hotel also features the Craftsman motif, albeit on a larger scale.

Craftsman homes often have a garden theme. For the Grand Californian, the theme was taken from a garden idea and scaled up so that the garden became a forest. The reception hall is based on the interior of the Swedenborgian Church in San Francisco, increased in scale to accommodate the large reception desk. The central lobby is a living room done in immense scale with a massive fireplace and vast arching beams overhead, and furnished with chairs and sofas arranged around small coffee tables.

Many of the items found throughout the hotel have been handcrafted by modern practitioners of the Arts and Crafts movement using traditional techniques. Some early Roycroft items are on display in the lobby.

Some of the hotel’s rooms and features are tributes to various Craftsman-era architects and designers. For instance, two of the guest suites, as well as the California Boardroom, pay homage to Frank Lloyd Wright; the Napa Rose restaurant features a rose motif in the glass design which was inspired by Charles Rennie MacKintosh. The Storytellers Cafe features a large tile mural that is a reproduction of an original design by the Gladding, McBean Company for a Robin Hood Room in the Wilmington, California, public library.

Its name is based on Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, its sister resort and Walt Disney World’s flagship resort hotel. The two hotels do not share themes, though, as the Grand Californian is a Craftsman theme, while the Grand Floridian is of a Victorian theme but both are Disney’s two finest resort properties in the world. It does, however, share many thematic elements with Disney’s Wilderness Lodge (also designed by Dominick) with its national park lodge themeing at Walt Disney World.

The hotel has its own entrance to Disney California Adventure Park park, located at the Grizzly Peak area. The entry is officially only open to guests of the Resort hotels.

The hotel opened on January 2, 2001. At about 3:00 AM PDT on December 28, 2005, a Christmas tree in the main lobby caught fire after electric maintenance workers replaced lights on the tree. All 2,300 guests at the hotel were evacuated within four minutes. The fire was contained by the hotel’s sprinkler system and by the Anaheim Fire Department. Two guests were treated for minor injuries, one of which was a severe headache. All guests were returned to their rooms by 7:00 AM; some were sent to other hotels in the area.

In response to a growing demand for guest accommodations in Anaheim, the Disneyland Resort announced on September 18, 2007 an expansion of Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa that would increase accommodations by more than 30 percent and include the first Disney Vacation Club villas in Anaheim. The 2.5-acre (10,000 m2) expansion on the hotel’s south side added more than 200 new hotel rooms and 50 two-bedroom equivalent vacation villas and marked the West Coast debut of Disney Vacation Club, Disney’s vacation-ownership program. During this expansion and renovation, a new swimming pool was added as well as a 300 space underground parking garage. Peter Dominick of 4240 Architecture Inc., architect for the original Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa designed the ambitious expansion to compliment his existing hotel. It will reflect the same California Arts & Crafts architecture of the existing hotel, which immerses guests in a turn-of-the-20th-century California experience. The project was completed in September 2009.

With the completion of this major expansion, Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa became the third largest hotel in Orange County, up from its previous fourth place standing

Sovereign Hotel California

The Sovereign Hotel is a converted hotel in Santa Monica, California, USA. Built in 1929, the Sovereign was a large five-story, 130-room hotel. It was designed by architect Kurt Meyer-Radon and the Anglo American Building Company in the Mission Revival-Spanish Colonial Revival styles.

In Los Angeles: An Architectural Guide, David Gebhard and Robert Winter, wrote, “There was no reticence here on the part of the architect in showing how many Spanish Colonial Revival forms and details could be used.”

The Sovereign Hotel was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.

Southern Hotel

Southern Hotel in Perris, California was built in 1886. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992. It is located at 445 S. D Street in the center of the city. Along with the Perris Depot, this is one of the two significant 19th century buildings still standing in the city

Southern Hotel is the oldest surviving commercial building in Perris, built by Swiss immigrant couple, Bernardo and Marcellina Bernasconi. Bernardo Bernasconi was a rancher, and the family had six children. It was used as a hotel serving the San Jacinto – Perris stage line until approximately 1919, when it was converted into Bernasconi family residence. Matilda Bernasconi, the oldest child of the original builders, lived in the building until her death, after which the structure fell into a state of disrepair. In 1987, there were two arson fires, and the building was close to being demolished. In 1990, it was bought by the Motte brothers, restored, and converted into a museum (Motte Historical Museum).

Before 1885, the area was known as Pinacate, now in the southern part of the city of Perris. Perris received a railway station in 1886 and soon after the Southern Hotel became one of the first buildings in the area.

The hotel is a Victorian Era style building, two-storey wooden and rectangular. It bears a number of Italianate features and decorative elements. Proviously, the building was adjecent to other commercial structures, but currently it stands alone.

The front of the building faces west (S. D Street) and is made in horisontal sidings. It features a door, two windows with decorative crowns, and an open wooden porch with four support posts.

Southern Hotel in Perris, California

California Hotel Nevada

The California Hotel and Casino, also known as The Cal opened in 1975 at a cost of $10 million with a hotel and casino located in Downtown Las Vegas, Nevada near the Fremont Street Experience. When it opened it had 325 rooms which has since been expanded to 781.

The California has been owned by Boyd Gaming since it was built by Sam Boyd.

After facing slow business initially, Boyd soon began focusing on the Hawaiian market, offering Hawaiian food and encouraging a more casual atmosphere.He introduced vacation packages from the islands, with charter airfares as low as $9.90. An estimated 80 to 90 percent of visitors to Las Vegas from Hawaii stay at a Boyd property. Boyd’s Hawaiian marketing, which extended to the Fremont and Main Street Station with their later acquisitions, is credited with helping to build a large Hawaiian community in Las Vegas, which is sometimes called “the ninth island”.

In 1994 an additional tower was added and the remainder of the hotel was remodeled.The property is connected to Main Street Station by an enclosed walkway.

The Millhouse

The Inn follows a Victorian style, and most rooms have different and unique decor. The main lobby features a wooden checkerboard, with small wooden red and yellow apples serving as the checkers. Many decorative objects and knickknacks displayed in the inn’s hallways are actually on sale and can be purchased by guests for home use.

Restaurant & Food

The Apple Farm Restaurant, across the parking lot from the Inn building,follows a traditional American style, serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner and holding a Two Diamond restaurant rating from AAA. A bakery is also attached to the restaurant.A widely popular facet of the hotel is its nightly distribution of fresh baked cookies and hot apple cider in the main lobby. Guest receptions are also held in the afternoon, featuring light appetizers and wines from local wineries.


The red-shingled Millhouse operates a working watermill, harnessing the power of San Luis Creek in order to make such products as apple cider and ice cream. A small gift shop is included inside the Millhouse, which, as of April 2011, is open Thursday through Sunday  and offers samples of cold apple cider and bags of freshly popped popcorn, both free of charge, to guests.The millhouse also includes a few rooms on the upper level that are available for guests to stay in.

City Hotel in Sonora

City Hotel in Sonora, California is a former hotel in downtown Sonora, California at 145 South Washington Street. The building, constructed circa 1852, is associated with Alonzo Green, Sonora’s mayor in 1852 and 1853, and James Lane. It includes a sitting room, bar and restaurant with rooms upstairs. It is built of slate, adobe, and red brick, and is one of Sonora’s oldest buildings.

It belonged to Olivier Bemis in the 1860s. In the early 1900s, the hotel ran a daily horse-pulled-bus service to meet trains.It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places for Tuolumne County, California in 1983

Quality Accommodation in CA